Care about what your children eat?
Want to learn new cooking skills?
The Maker of Meals Project…..
The Maker of Meals Project is a program of culinary instruction designed to improve the health of families with children in the Great Eastport area. The project was developed in collaboration with the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition at the University of Maine, with the goal to link improvement in kitchen proficiency with quality of life and child feeding practices.
The Makers of Meals Project has . . .
· Trained Shead High School students as student researchers to assist in gathering data to evaluate cooking skills and child feeding practices in the Greater Eastport area.
· Completed a community Needs Assessment with help of UMaine Professor Adrienne White
· Created a curriculum to teach and encourage basic cooking skills and good nutrition, designed by Registered Dietician Denise Harris and Culinary Arts Instructor Marie Emerson.
· Conducted an initial series of Cooking Classes with Makers of Meals at Eastport Labor of Love to test the curriculum and measure its effectiveness.
· Completed sixty cooking classes in 2015-16 with local schoolchildren, with sponsorship by the Eat Right Foundation of the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, through the community teaching kitchen at Eastport Labor of Love Nutrition Center.